Selfies have become quite the phenomenon. Everyone’s doing it these days; from everyday folks, celebrities, presidents, and even astronauts. Here are some selfies that have been featured and plastered all over the internet:
1. The following picture is a selfie of the president of the United States, Barack Obama, when in a memorial service for Nelson Mandela. In this candid shot taken by an AFP journalist, it’s seen that Obama seems to be enjoying himself taking selfies with his phone with Prime Ministers of Denmark and England, Helle Thorning-Schmidt and David Cameron. The three of them smiles is shown smiling wide in front of President Obama’s cellphone. This photo then quickly went viral and people discusses whether this was an appropriate thing to do in such an event.
2. A NASA astronaut also took a selfie when going on a spacewalk. Mike Hopkins went out of the ISS to fix a problem with the coolant and took time to take a selfie with our planet Earth as the background. The selfie was taken 420 kilometers above sea level, right on the ISS orbital space. NASA didn’t have any problems with Hopkin’s selfie because NASA scheduled the fixing of the cooling systems of the ISS to be done in 7 hours but Hopkins and his partner Rick Mastracchio finished it ahead of schedule, allowing them some free time before having to go back into the station.
3. A famous talk show host from the United States, Ellen DeGeneres, made history at the 2014 Academy Awards when in front of tens of thousands of guests at the Hollywood Dolby Theater she took a selfies of herself with several Hollywood actors namely Jennifer Lawrence, Brad Pitt, Lupita Nyong’o, Bradley Cooper, and Angelina Jolie. In the 86 times the Academy Awards have been conducted, this is the first time ever a host took a group photo of themselves while hosting. The second history was made when Ellen’s selfie broke Twitter’s record for the most retweeted tweet in the world (more than 2 million retweets). The previous record was held by Barack Obama’s tweet, which got 781,526 retweets.
4. A pilot of the Royal Danish Air Force, Denmark’s air force, took a selfie of himself while operating the F-16 fighter jet. The resulting photograph is somewhat amazing. The camera took the shot right as a missle is launched but it’s never revealed what type of camera was used by the pilot.
5. And here is the most extreme selfie photo ever taken in the world! An airplane pilot driving a commercial airplane took a selfie of himself from the cockpit window. By using a monopod, he opened the cockpit window and took the most extreme selfie in the world! Super extreme… and super fake. As is customary to exist on the internet, this is the work of a photoshopper troll. But it is quite an interesting picture nonetheless.