Photo by : Ciel Photography on Flickr
As what was done by the two pioneers of this field of photography, lomography has developed into a photographic technique that ignores the existing rules. When executing conventional photography techniques, a lot of rules must be adhered to (e.g. shutter speed, ISO, and aperture) to create a good photography. Meanwhile, those same rules tend to be ignored when photographing using Lomography techniques. Lomography emphasizes more on producing unique photographs, so the results are quite subjective.
The Lomography Community, however, formulated 10 golden rules when one wants to take successful photographs using a Lomography camera. These rules are:
1. Take your LOMO everywhere you go. Because you’ll find unexpected interesting objects wherever you go.
2. Use it any time – day or night. Use your Lomo cameras without limits. Use it during the day or night, in any given situation or condition.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but a part of it. Make your Lomography part of your daily life and enjoy your time photographing any objects that your life comes into contact with.
4. Shoot from your hip.
5. Approach the objects of your lomographic desire as close as possible. Not just because the Lomo cameras generally has no zoom, but also to create a certain distinct feel between you and the object of your photo.
6. Don’t think. Use your heart, sight, and instinct.
7. Be fast. No need to overthink the techniques, just shoot before the moment passes you by.
8. You don’t have to know beforehand what you’ve captured on film.
9. Don’t worry about the rules. Just use it however you feel is right for you and have fun!
Read also : Creating a Vintage and Lomographic Tone with Toycamera AnalogColor