Canon T3 and Nikon D3100 is the entry level DSLR camera in 2011. Both cameras are selling at the same price (around $599 with kit lens). Both cameras are intended for beginners or people who do not use DSLR camera before, so both cameras are beginner-friendly, small and lightweight.
Canon T3 (1100D), the latest Canon entry level DSLR camera, gets a considerable boost from its predecessor, Canon XS (1000D). Here are some list of the improvements:
Canon T3 (1100D) Key Features
- 12 MP resolution from 10 MP
- 2.7” 230k LCD from 2.5” LCD
- DIGIC IV processor from DIGIC III (faster performance)
- New 63 zone metering
- HD 720p video recording
- ISO 100-6400 in whole stop increment
- 9 point AF system
- Feature guide for complete beginners
- Available in more than one color, including black, red and white
As you can see, there are plenty improvements from Canon XS/1000D. Some of the improvements are inherited from higher-end Canon DSLR such as 63 metering mode, DIGIC IV processor and video recording feature. Canon T3 will be suitable for beginners who are looking for their first DSLR camera. It is easy to use and doesn’t break your bank. Canon T3 will compete with Nikon D3100 as the best selling entry level DSLR cameras.
Like most of DSLR cameras today, both cameras are able to record video clip. They don’t have many differences.
Nikon has unveiled the D3100, its latest entry-level offering and its first DSLR that can record full 1080p HD videos. Successor to the popular D3000, it is built around a 14.2 CMOS sensor and a 3 inch LCD. As well as movies it gains Live View shooting, a wider ISO range ( 100-3200 expandable to 12800) and a host of small revisions. The camera will be available soon at a retail price of £579.99 / €599 with the 18-55mm VR lens. We’ve been given access to a pre-production version of the camera which we’ve used to prepare a hands-on preview, looking at the changes Nikon has made to its best-selling DSLR.
Nikon D3100 Key Features
- 14.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor
- 3.0″ LCD monitor (230,000 dots)
- Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake)
- 11 AF points (with 3D tracking)
- IS0 100-3200 range (12,800 expanded)
- HD movies (1080, 720p or WVGA)
So what are their differences?
Canon T3 advantages
- Canon T3 has built-in auto focus motor, so it is compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses
- Canon user interface especially Quick button and dedicated iso and wb are great
- Color choice (Black, red, white)
Nikon D3100 advantages
- Nikon-D3100Better image quality especially in low light situation (high ISO)
- Higher video resolution (1080 vs 720p)
- Slightly bigger LCD screen
Overall, If you concern about image and video quality, then Nikon D3100 is the winner. But if you are looking for a camera that has plenty of dedicated buttons so you can change settings in a breeze, then Canon T3 is the better choice. My other concern about D3100 is that it does not has built-in AF motor, so auto focus will only work when you mount Nikon AF-S lenses (not AF-D or AF lenses). Usually AF-S lenses are more expensive.
NIKON D300s vs CANON EOS 7D
NIKON D5100 vs NIKON D90
CANON 500D vs NIKON D5000
NIKON D7000 vs CANON EOS 60D
CANON EOS 1100D vs CANON EOS 1000D
Buy at Amazon: